Alan Rusbridger, Guardian.co.uk technology columnist, on November 19, released an article on 15 reasons why Twitter could be an issue for media organizations?.
His opinion was not meant to scare the owners and media activists, but more than mere warning. Rusbridger would suggest media owners must make peace and not ashamed to adopt Twitter advantages in distributing content.
For citizens of cyberspace (netizens), Twitter, which started online since July 15, 2006 is a necessity. With the pressures of time and busyness, the people in this virtual world is no longer blogging by creating a lengthy post. Simply singing like a bird about what is happening and inform the events that befall him or anyone else, the message is to be a chain.
Twitter's Jack Dorsey is developed short messages (SMS), virtual work on the internet. Twitter is nothing more than SMS Internet. As a brief message, he is limited to 140 characters. So the message (tweet) what can be delivered the tweep (transmitter tweets) via 140-character limit? How could the media industry may be disturbed by the message that 140 characters?
Before answering this question a bunch of, well consider the first 15 Rusbridger mind why the mainstream media need to be wary of Twitter:
1) Distribution amazing. True, the message is only limited to 140 characters, but in it saved the link that leads anyone to a site that the domain address has been shortened. Through its viral message, the message can spread. No wonder each site that complement social media aware of its features with the "share on Twitter".
2) Placing the events in advance. Although not always, a lot of news first appeared on Twitter before the journalists write. In fact, breaking news can be directly obtained on Twitter.
3) As the search engine. Twitter is a rival of Google. Twitter users who number nearly 200 million are no longer seeking information from Google, but directly get it from millions of tweets that flows all the time.
4) Aggregate tough. Twitter is a private news feeds as you wish users. Link where the news can be stored directly opened.
5) The form of fantastic marketing. Those posts written on the web will spread faster if it's shared on Twitter because of a viral message that allows a message rolling.
6) Tools superb reportage. It can not be denied, now many journalists seeking information or news idea of Twitter.
7) The series of conversations. Twitter allows users to interact actively on the topic.
8) More diverse. In traditional media, only a handful of readers / viewers who can provide feedback. On Twitter, everyone can "sing" at will.
9) Change the "tone" writing. A lot of courage to write / voice appears on Twitter. The person who originally active listening become an active speaking pour ideas.
10) The loss of the field hierarchy. Not only famous people who heard, ordinary people were allowed to interact intensely.
11) It has a different value. For information, people no longer depend on professional journalists because millions tweep is a "journalist" itself is ready to share information.
12) Has a long attention span. Twitter is a form of "consciousness" new, even using the web, users can set the desired information based on subject or friendship.
13) Creating a community. Possible formation of a global community based on interests and interests.
14) Changing notions of authority. Instead of waiting for an expert opinion that was published / broadcast media, Twitter shift the balance of authority called "peer to peer".
15) The agent of change. Issues that are created will affect other people or agencies the authority holder. This is called collaborative power of the media!
For owners of mass media, especially print media are far from a web culture, there is no reason to fear because the readers of the print media have their own culture. However, the tendency of people to access information quickly must be a consideration. The problem is, Twitter bring that speed!
Fast is not synonymous with right. What if Twitter is able to adopt the jargon of classical journalism "get it first, but first get it right"? This is a problem, especially for online media is hunting speed, but sometimes ignore accuracy. Twitter culture because tweep formed naturally tend to seek qualified tweet "right" than "first". Tweep penelan not merely as consumers of information, but a producer who gives feeds to other tweep! Source: Compass Print